Eligibility for international students

To apply for an MGT vacancy, international students need to ensure that they have the relevant authorisation to work in the UK beyond the expiry of their student visa.

Student visas usually expire around 4 - 6 months after your course end date, depending on your level of study. The majority of MGT jobs are fixed-term contract roles for between 4 and 12 months or permanent positions and therefore require international students to have, or obtain, permission to work in the UK beyond their student visa expiry. If you are not an EEA national, this will need to be under the Skilled Worker Route or under a Tier 5 short-term/internship visa.

The Skilled Worker Route is points based and launched in December 2020

  • You require 70 points to be eligible for this visa and be sponsored by a registered employer.
  • If you have studied in the UK under Tier 4 you are classed as a “New Entrant”
  • The minimum skill level for most occupations is described as Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) level 3, which equates to the UK A-level qualification.
  • Salary The 70% salary figure will of course vary depending on the specific job. You need to meet the relevant minimum salary or £20,480, whichever is higher.
  • Your UK degree will suffice for the English Language requirement.
  • You can find out more on the UKCISA website https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Working/Working-after-studies#layer-6784

MGT fixed-term contract roles and short-term visas (under Tier 5)

It may be possible to use a short-term work experience visa (under Tier 5 – Government Authorised Exchanges) to cover an MGT role that is a fixed-term contract for less than 12 months. The visa is sponsored by another organisation (not the employer), so you will need to leave the UK at the end of the visa. You will need to arrange the visa yourself through the Tier 5 sponsor once you have a job offer. Historically, though, the nature of MGT roles means that none have met the requirements of the Tier 5 sponsorship to date.

If you qualify for the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme, you can work in the UK for up to two years. This scheme is available to nationals of Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea and Taiwan, and to British Overseas Citizens, British Overseas Territories Citizens and British Nationals (Overseas).