Working during study

Gaining work experience whilst you study through a part-time job, vacation placement or internship will help you develop skills to add to your CV. UK and international employers value the range of transferable skills and commercial awareness which you can gain through work experience in addition to academic qualifications.

We can help you to explore your options for working during your studies, find opportunities and make successful applications.

Can I work during study?

Most international students are legally allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during term time and full time during vacations, but there are different rules about working during summer for postgraduate students. There are also some restrictions on the type of work you can do. (Note that the University suggest no more than 15 hours / week during term time)

It is important to check your visa conditions to confirm if you can work during your studies. Full details about conditions for work during study on a Student visas are available on the Student Immigration Team website

How do I find a part-time job, internship or work experience?

Applying for a National Insurance Number

International students who are looking for paid work in the UK will need to apply for an NI number. It is free to apply and applications should be made by phone to the National Insurance Number application line.