Postgraduate study outside the UK

After having studied in the UK many students consider doing a Masters or PhD abroad to broaden their experience.

What do you want to study and why? How does this fit in with your career plans?

This is likely to come up on any university application. Be clear about your reasons and what your next step will be.

If you want to talk over whether studying abroad is a realistic option for you, you can make an appointment to see a careers consultant. Please note, we do not have specific information on courses abroad, other than the information in the links shown on this page.


Where (in the world) can I do this course?
What is the application process?
How much will it cost?
Which visa do I need?

Comprensive coverage for questions about international masters and Phd courses.

For the EU Ploteus also has information on erasmus grants and living in European countries.
For the USA the Fulbright Commission provides information on entry into US universities plus guidance on applications & tests.
For Australia & NZ Study options

Check application methods with individual universities, most will require some kind of CV or application form including a personal statement or cover letter explaining your reasons for applying. See also

Additionally some countries and individual institutions require entry tests, especially for MBA, business or economics areas. They commonly ask for the GMAT test which is used for entry to many American Buisness schools. It is worth researching admission tests well in advance as tests will need to be scheduled in good time. There are numerous test prep sites but most will charge you, check the University Library for GMAT test prep books.

Can I find a course taught in English?

Courses in English are available at a number of institutions. However it’s likely that some knowledge of the local language will be useful. As well as studying you will have to manage the business of accommodation, shopping, socialising, travelling and possibly working.

Will the course I plan to do give me professional accreditation?

Often courses that give professional training in a vocational area will only give accreditation for the country you are in due to specific local requirements. Check with professional bodies if your qualification will be accepted in the country you intend to work in. It may be possible to gain accreditation by taking top up courses or tests.

Will it be cheaper in another country?

Prices vary it could be cheaper or more expensive than the UK and obviously will depend on the course too. Price is not the only factor in choosing a course, consider also if you can work during or after you study and the level of support you will receive while studying.

How can I fund my course?

Will I be able to work while I study?

This is something you will need to check. Some countries such as the UK allow students to work while they study subject to certain conditions (you may be restricted in the type, hours, or location of the work you can do). Check before you apply if this is important to help you fund your studies. The admissions / student immigration team at the university you are applying to should be able to tell you.

Can I work there after my course?

In some countries you may be able to get a short term post study work visa (e.g. up to 2 years in Ireland) as part of your package for studying. Other countries you will have no entitlement to work and will have to fulfil visa requirements for the local labour market. This information may be available on the website of the university you are applying to. However it can be very complex – check embassy websites and contact the university you are applying to find out more. Not all universities will have a careers service, so you will need to check who will support you with finding work after you study.

Checklist before you go…Y / N
Check the validity of your Passport and research the relevant visa requirements as early as possible
Research the housing provision at your destination and make sure that you meet any deadlines for applying. Make sure that you have somewhere booked for the first few nights at least before you leave.
Make sure that you have a check-up with both your dentist, and your optician if relevant, before you leave.
Obtain supplies of any prescribed medication (including contraception) you may need for your time abroad and a letter from your doctor to carry with you explaining the nature and purpose of the medication.
Inform your bank that you are going abroad.
Ensure you understand any academic requirements and how you will be assessed.
Create a folder with copies of important documents such as your passport and visa, driving license; credit/debit cards; any medical prescriptions for medicines you are carrying and relying on; and any confirmation letters/invitations for your placement. Leave a copy of this and your travel literary with your family/ emergency contact person. Scan a copy of these documents and email a secure/encrypted copy to yourself so you can access these online from anywhere in the world via the internet.
Create a contact list with details of those you may need to contact in an emergency and provide a copy to your family/ emergency contact at home.
Get your phone unlocked.
Register for a postal or proxy vote.
Apply for an EHIC card (EU citizens only)