Careers Service

Teaching English as a Foreign Language - TEFL

Teaching English overseas is a popular option for students who want to work and travel or experience another culture.

Most students ask which course to do or if it's needed? Here is our advice:

  • Decide where you want to work, it will help you find vacancies and training requirements.
  • Find out what qualifications and experience are typically required in the country you want to work in. Use job sites to look at live vacanices and the "Teach English Abroad" book in the Careers Library.
  • The longer, more expensive courses that offer classroom experience and certification are usually the most desirable.
  • What age group do you want to teach? Check if the course is to teach adults or children.
  • Requirements vary widely from no experience or qualifications to fully trained with a PGCE plus 2 years experience. So consider how long you want to do this for and how much of an investment you want to make.
  • If you have no teaching experience, how will you feel teaching a classroom of children or adults?

There are opportunities to train in the UK and overseas and some training organisations will also place you in a job. Investigate the costs, quality of teaching and support you will recieve in country and finding a job. Also how much will you be paid.


Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages or as a Second Language is similar. In the UK you will find vacancies offered in local community colleges and at FE colleges, you will often be teaching adults who are new to the country or wish to improve their English.

For more information and jobsearch websites read our guide: