Careers Service

Doctorate Extension Scheme

This is a 12 month visa extension scheme under Tier 4 for students completing a doctorate in the UK.

The scheme allows PhD students that currently have valid immigration permission, to stay for a further 12 months in the UK to find work with a Tier 2 employer, set up as an entrepreneur, or to gain practical work experience in their field.

For further information about this visa contact the Student Immigration Team in Student Service Centre.

Tier 1 Exceptional Talent

This route is open to postdoctoral researchers who have already made a significant contribution to their field and have proven potential to be a world leader.

Applicants will have held or hold a prestigious UK/international research fellowship and have a personal recommendation from an eminent qualified UK resident. They may also have evidence of a relevant prize or award for early career research and funding achieved during/following tenure of fellowship.

Applications under this category need to be endorsed by a National Academy, such as the British Academy /The Royal Society / The Royal Academy of Engineering.

For further information about the visa, eligibility and application guidelines:

Tier 1 Entrepreneur

Unlike the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur visa, Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) requires funds that you must invest in a business in the UK.

Tier 1 (Investor) Visa

This visa designed to encourage people to invest and stay in the UK.

Within 5 years or less, depending on the amount invested, you can achieve permanent residency (“Indefinite Leave to Remain”) in the UK. In the 6th year, you can apply for British Citizenship. A minimum investment of £2 million is required.

A Tier 1 (Investor) Visa provides a way for international students with the financial means to reside and work in the UK without needing to rely on an employer-sponsored visa. Visa holders can:

  • Graduate and apply for full-time employment without company sponsorship
  • Continue to reside in the UK and can choose whether or not to work, study etc
  • Continue as a student and work unlimited employed hours if desired
  • Have additional family members as dependents (in certain circumstances)

You are also advised to consult an immigration solicitor for advice on the formal legal process. The following organisations are experienced in assisting international students at the University or you may prefer to contact another organisation for legal advice. The Immigration Law Professional Association has a list of organisations that provide immigration advice.

  • Charlotte Ashton, MLP Law,

For further information see the Tier 1 Investor visa guidance on the UK Visas and immigration website:

Students' Union Sabbatical Officers

Students' union sabbatical officers are paid, elected executive union positions. You can stay in the UK under Tier 4 if you have been elected to a full-time post as a students' union sabbatical officer at an education establishment where you are registered as a student.

UK and Republic of Ireland ancestry


The UK ancestry route allows eligible persons to work in the UK. You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if you are a Commonwealth citizen and are able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK. For further information and eligibility see the UK Visa & Immigration website.

Republic of Ireland

Information about Irish citizenship through birth or descent is available on the Citizens Information Board website.