Tier 5 short term visas

Tier 5 Temporary Worker (Government Authorised Exchange Visa)

This visa allows you to undertake career related work experience/internship in the UK for a period of one year or two years (depending on the scheme). There are a number of approved Tier 5 organisations who can act as sponsors for your internship provided it meets their requirements for sponsorship.

One disadvantage to the Tier 5 schemes is that you need to leave the UK after your work experience. You cannot switch into a different visa in the UK (such as Tier 2), so this is only for graduates looking for a short period of work in the UK.

You can find a list of all the current Tier 5 schemes and sponsors on the UK Visa and Immigration website. Check with individual Tier 5 sponsors to find out more about their internship programmes, requirements for sponsorship, how to apply and costs. Some relevant schemes for students include AIESEC (Access Tier 5 scheme), GTI (Tier 5 Intern Program) and BUNAC (Intern in Britain) but there are over 70 schemes listed in total.

Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa

You can work in the UK for up to two years under this scheme if you are a national of Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea and Taiwan, British Overseas Citizens, British Overseas Territories Citizens and British Nationals (Overseas).