Careers Service resources
It's often easier to make sense of the kind of person you are and the type of jobs that suit you by talking it over with someone else. They could help you to identify your skills and relate them to occupations, as well as help you to develop an individual action plan to move your career plans forward.
Run by the Careers Service, careers events are a quick and easy way to find out what different careers involve.
- Career Essentials programme - In semesters one and two, these include presentations on different career areas, as well as a range of other topics.
- New Grad programme - Taking place in the period around graduation, these talks and workshops help you think about your career options and how best to prepare for the Graduate Careers Fair in June.
- Insight courses - Short taster courses to help you find out more about different jobs and industries from the people who work in them.
- Recruiter events - 100s of graduate employers come on campus each year, especially in semester one, to talk about opportunities within their organisation.
Careers Resource Centre information
We have information on over 700 careers and our career booklets and graduate directories are free to take away.
Available to take away
- Your Degree... What Next? - This AGCAS Information booklet will help you identify your skills, consider the full range of occupations open to you as a graduate, and make you aware of different employment sectors. Available to take away from the Careers Resource Centre or online.
- 'I don't know what I want to do' - This booklet produced by the Careers Service will help you identify your interests, skills and motivations. It includes details on additional useful sources of information and advice. Copies are available in the Careers Resource Centre or to download.
Available on reference
- The Art of Building Windmills - career tactics for the 21st century.
Dr Peter Hawkins
- Build your own Rainbow - a workbook for career and life management.
Barrie Hopson and Mike Sally
- Career, Aptitude and Selection Tests - match your IQ, personality and abilities to your ideal career.
- Test Yourself: Test Your Aptitude, Personality and Motivation and Plan Your Career.
- What Color is your Parachute? A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers.
Richard Nelson Bolles