What is volunteering?
Volunteering is an unpaid activity with a charity or not-for-profit organisation that makes a difference to the wider community. It involves doing something that improves the environment or helps members of that community.
Volunteering is a great way to enhance your University experience. As well as being fun, it can:
- Give you a great sense of achievement
- Help you develop essential skills that employers look for e.g. project management, communication and teamwork skills
- Give you the opportunity to meet new people
- Give you the chance to make a difference in the community
How can the University help you to volunteer?
The University of Manchester has a dedicated Volunteering and Community Engagement Team based within the Manchester Leadership Programme, Careers & Employability Division. We support and encourage you to volunteer by:
- Advertising hundreds of volunteering opportunities across Greater Manchester through our Volunteering Vacancy Service
- Providing one-to-one advice to help you with volunteering queries
- Informing you of how you can get your volunteering recognised
- Keeping you up to date with the latest volunteering news and events